We always make a trip to the Saturday Market on Salt Spring Island when we visit my parents up in Canada. I usually find something tasty that inspires a fresh and new dinner. We also usually devour a few loaves of our friend Tony’s delicious bread while we wander and people watch/drool over all the things!
This time we picked up some delicious moroccan and indian spices from a local company, Monsoon Coast. They have so many delicious mixes, it took us a good 15 minutes to decide what to buy. We settled on some sweet, warm tandoori, a garam masala and a curry mix. Here’s the one I used. If you can’t find a good Tandoori mix at your local store, here is a recipe for the spice blend. I wish I had a Tandoor to cook these in but the cast iron did a great job too. The combination of the tandoori spices here with the sweet potatoes and juicy raisins is the perfect answer to the Indian spice cravings that I get from time to time.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used one regular, one japanese)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2-3 tbsp Tandoori spice (or use recipe link above)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- In a cast iron or heavy bottom pan over medium heat, add canola oil and diced onions.
- Add tandoori spice, stir and allow onions to cook for a few minutes.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes.
- Add sweet potatoes, raisins and maple syrup.
- Add water a few tablespoons at a time to prevent sticking, stir frequently and cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are very soft.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and serve warm with rice and salad if it suits you.
**This is NOT a sponsored post, opinions are always my own. 😀