Kids love cheese sauces (don’t we all…) and will eat pretty much anything covered in them. Being that I have two small boys, after going vegan figuring out a tasty and convincing cheese sauce was a top priority. There are plenty of great cheese sauces that don’t actually use vegan cheese and I love them. Here’s one I did for Nutpods – you can find the recipe HERE.
But my goal here was to make a sauce that was super quick and not complicated, but also gooey and cheesy enough to rival those boxed mac and cheeses that kids love.
We also put this over broccoli and other steamed veggies, drizzle it over rice and beans, and if you want, add a little chili powder or some fresh salsa and you have a delicious queso dip!
Easy Cheese Sauce
(makes 1 cup cheese sauce, 5 minutes)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter substitute (earth balance)
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese (I like Daiya Chedder Style Shreds)
- Salt to taste
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- When butter starts to bubble and boil, sprinkle flour over top and mix in. (It will look almost like a paste)
- Add almond milk and garlic powder and cook, stirring continuously, until sauce thickens and looks creamy – about 3 minutes.
- Add non-dairy cheese and stir until all the cheese is melted and creamy.
- Remove from heat and add a sprinkle of salt to taste.