Make brownies, soak them in rum and roll them in more sugar. Sounds good to me! Be careful with these though – they’re so easy to eat you’ll be flat on your back if you have one too many! Rum balls are a universal favorite and a great treat to bring into the office if you want to make the day pass very quickly. Hooray for covert daytime drinking!
Vegan Rum Balls
(makes about 32 1-inch balls, 1 hour not including cooling time)
- 2 tbsp ground flax meal
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 vegan margarine (I use earth balance)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (trader joe’s semi-sweet are vegan!)
- 6-8 tbsp dark rum
- sparkling sugar or sprinkles to roll
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Mix ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken.
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave. If using microwave, cook in 15 second increments, stirring between, until all chips are melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix the vegan margarine, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla, ground flax mixture and melted chocolate chips.
- Pour wet mixture (margarine) in the dry flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or just until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Don’t over bake!
- Let brownies cool for at least 45 minutes.
- Once brownies are cool, grab a large bowl and use your hands to crumble them into very small pieces.
- Add rum, starting with 6 tablespoons and mix very well until mixture is smooth, creamy and there are no lumps.
- Taste and add a few more tablespoons of rum if you like.
- Roll mixture into approximately 2 tsp balls. Don’t worry about them being exact. They should be about 1 inch in diameter.
- Roll balls through sparkling sugar or sprinkles.
**These can be stored at room temperature for a few days but I recommend serving them right away as the balls that are rolled in sugar/sprinkles may start to *sweat rum! Which still tastes good but they can get a little messy looking.